The vision of GlycoNet is to deliver solutions to important health issues and improve quality of life of Canadians through glycomics.
The mission of GlycoNet is to 1) ensure that the Network and Canada are internationally recognized as the leader in glycomics research, 2) deliver exceptional training in glycomics research and entrepreneurship, 3) bridge the translation gap between research and industry, and 4) translate research advances into tangible benefits for Canada.
In achieving this vision and mission, GlycoNet will build on our world-leading network of glycomics researchers and trainees, government laboratories and industry partners. The Network will address key challenges in human health; GlycoNet research, in collaboration with GlycoNet partners, will lead to novel approaches for preventing and treating disease. Key outcomes of GlycoNet in the next five years are:
- Innovative multidisciplinary research excellence in glycomics, with a particular emphasis on human health, to advance Canadian health care and the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries in Canada. Specific areas of interest will be antimicrobials, rare genetic diseases, diabetes, obesity, agents for treating chronic disease, and the development of therapeutic proteins and vaccines.
- Core services in glycan screening, complex glycan structure analysis, glycan synthesis and high-throughput screening, for use by GlycoNet researchers and industry partners. These core services will be a magnet for companies and industries seeking glycomics research and development.
- A Canada-wide curriculum for training in glycomics. Training resources will profit both GlycoNet trainees and industry partners, and will be viewed as the international gold standard.
- Strategic partnerships with small, medium and large biotech and pharmaceutical companies to accelerate and power translational research.
- New ventures created through GlycoNet and a new generation of entrepreneurs to benefit Canadian industry. In support of strategic partnerships and venture creation, GlycoNet will target funding to translational research, protection of intellectual property, and training of highly qualified personnel.
- Unified Canadian leadership and vision in international glycomics research initiatives.
- The maturation of GlycoNet into the one-stop global destination for academic and industry organizations that seek solutions to problems through applied glycomics research.