The GlycoNet Trainee Association – Executive Committee is calling all trainees interested in joining its University Ambassadors Program for January – June 2022.
Being a University Ambassador is a unique and rewarding experience, and getting involved enables you to assist the GlycoNet Trainee Association – Executive Committee (GTA-EC) in creating changes in the network that will affect you, your fellow GlycoNet colleagues, and GlycoNet members in influential and meaningful ways.
What is a University Ambassador?
GlycoNet University Ambassadors aim to broaden GlycoNet’s presence and visibility across all universities in the Network. The Ambassadors will be responsible for the organization of local events to promote the GlycoNet training program and expand the trainees’ knowledge on GlycoNet. In doing so, the Ambassadors support the GTA-EC in enhancing the experience of all trainees at GlycoNet.
To cover the breadth of universities across GlycoNet, we are seeking Ambassadors regionally as follows:
- British Columbia: 2
- Alberta: 2
- Saskatchewan: 1
- Manitoba: 1
- Ontario: 3
- Quebec: 3
- Nova Scotia: 1
Why Get Involved? You Can…
- Help develop GlycoNet as a place of training and education for Highly Qualified Personnel
- Expand your network and get to know other trainees at GlycoNet
- Develop your leadership skills and network while representing the interests of the trainees
- Have opportunities to plan for GlycoNet’s trainee-focused events (e.g. outreach program, professional development workshops, webinars, glycomics group meetings, social mixers, networking events etc.)
- Strengthen your extracurricular activities
- You are an undergraduate, graduate student, post-doctoral fellow, technician, or research associate supervised by a GlycoNet Investigator (Click to check the list of GlycoNet Investigators)
- You have an interest and commitment to trainee development
- You are available to engage in several activities throughout the term, which include:
- Meetings with the GTA-EC University Ambassador Representative
- In-person regional events
- In-person meeting and activities during GlycoNet Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Symposium (May 9-12, 2022)
Note: You are not required to be working on GlycoNet-funded projects to be eligible to apply.
- Establish points of contacts in all GlycoNet-affiliated labs at each university in your designated region
- Communicate GlycoNet activities and training opportunities with points of contact
- Plan and attend regional events, with help from the GTA-EC
- Meet with the GTA-EC University Ambassador Representative to discuss ideas and plan events
- Support the GTA-EC with ad hoc activities throughout the term, including the AGM and Symposium
We are seeking to build a diverse and inclusive group of individuals who are motivated, creative, passionate, and committed to the workings of the GTA-EC and GlycoNet as a whole.
Candidates will be selected by the GlycoNet Training Committee based on experiences that align with the goals of GlycoNet Trainee Association, expressed commitment, and interest in trainee development. We welcome applicants from a broad range of specialties, sexual orientations, races, religions, genders, abilities, and geographic locations. For more information on GTA-EC and our training initiatives, visit our website, https://canadianglycomics.ca/training/.
Please share this call with your lab mates and colleagues who you think may be interested in applying.
- November 22, 2021: Application opens
- January 14, 2022: Application closes at 11:59 pm MST
- February 2022: Notification to elected Ambassadors
- February 2022: Meeting with all Ambassadors to discuss initiatives
- May 9-12, 2022: GlycoNet AGM and Symposium in Banff, AB